Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A spot in the sun

It has become an almost-annual tradition for my sister and I to head to Arizona over the President's Day long weekend to visit our mom in her snowbird winter home. This time the trip coincided with the Vancouver Olympics, so we skipped some of the outings to watch the DVR'd opening ceremonies and some of our favorite sports (snowboarding and moguls at the top of that list - as much as "favorite" can be a sport related word for me when I never watch any non-Olympic sporting events).


But there was still plenty of time to watch the almost scary number of birds wrestling at Mom's backyard feeder and dipping into her fountain, and the bunnies racing around in the front road. We tore ourselves away from the televised snow to dunk Mom in the complex's outdoor pool and lounge in the hot tub. Aunt Virginia lured us to her new condo with offers of homemade bon-bons and the promise that the Olympic figure skating would be on her screen as well.

And of course, my Knitting Olympics sweater which I started Saturday morning. And some spinning with my new spindle.

We also remodeled a flight jumpsuit into an off the shoulder dress with a potentially plunging neckline and a feathery ruffled red skirt that my sister swears she will be wearing to a dance. The military has mysterious ways.
We even moved far enough away from the TV to visit the Botanical Gardens where every cactus had a sunlit halo and came in weird and wonderful shapes. Even a few glass ones scattered in with the others.
It was a great trip and wonderful to spend so much time quietly with my mom and sister.

Meanwhile, the menfolk had fun at home celebrating the Spring Festival/Chinese New Year by going to see the dragon and lion dancers in the International District. J called to tell me that he was "very brave, Mama, I didn't even cover my ears for the firecrackers!" They ate beef noodle soup and endured the rain and had all sorts of adventures.

The weekend had a lot of holidays - Mid-Winter Break, Roni & I's seventh anniversary, CNY, Valentine's Day and President's Day. (Small aside - I was particularly impressed that there is such a thing as a red box of chocolates decorated with a monster truck, which is J's favorite wheeled vehicle.) We didn't celebrate any of them as an entire family, but they were still all a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment