Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Here we go a WASLing

This is the second day of the WASL testing at our school. There are at least four days to go, plus make-up days, so it makes it a very quiet time in the library. Two classes without standard desks are using the library space, and then at the end of the regular test period all the students who need more time come into the library to finish.

I send out an email that the library has reopened when the final student leaves. Yesterday the email went out at 2:16. Today I don't think we'll be opening before school is out as two students still remain. Poor things! Nearly seven and a half hours they've worked on their reading tests. And towards the end they've dealt with numerous interruptions. Some unavoidable, some very annoying. How are a bright gold "Quiet, Testing" and a bold red "Library CLOSED" signs not enough to keep students from banging through the doors, hollering out their presence? They look so indignant when we shoosh them away.

Here is the library, set up for the students:

Other than a little supervision duties and some test collection from classrooms, I've not been assigned to many WASL duties, so I've been cataloging books and cleaning up catalog records.

Other library news: a little while ago my aide and I decided that we'd switch out our plain office chairs for something more challenging. My back has felt better, and the balancing is fun. The kids also find it quite entertaining.

Here is my L.U. (loyal underling - she named herself) on her new "chair."

No comments:

Post a Comment